Dec 5, 2008

What Teaching Has Taught Me

What makes a good teacher? Many people, even students attending a teacher training college, think that being a teacher is an easy task.

Perhaps it is the subliminal desire to be a teacher. Or maybe it is that I never had the opportunity to actually stand in front of a room and instruct. Whatever the reason, I see myself falling into the leadership role of teacher and mentor. I enjoy the different personalities and styles of people. That could be one of the motivations for being inclined toward this type of leadership. Teaching or mentoring is a very interpersonal type of leadership style. I get satisfaction from seeing and encouraging others and sharing information with them. In return, I learn a great deal from them as well. I also gain greater self-esteem when people tell me I am doing a good job or thank me for helping out. It is a real boost to the ego.
In a classroom setting, at parties and casually talking with friends, when playing sports and in meetings, I find myself listening to other people’s problems and feeling good about giving advice. I like helping set goals and objectives and delegating individuals to find areas that will interest them and let them add their expertise. I also love to ask leading questions and see what kind of responses I will get.
I like working with teams, as well. Even though I find myself gravitating toward the team leader role, it is great to know that everyone is pitching in to come up with an answer. The brainstorming and exchange of information is a real motivator.
Touching more lives, affecting the outcome of so many futures a teacher is the epitome of a leader. Just as a leader has his or her own style, their way of motivating their students, also plays an important part in a students success.

I may not be the best or the perfect teacher, but I believe that like my students, I am still learning the ways and means to be one. After all teaching isn’t at all about grammar, or literature or writing… its about learning what life is all about. Teaching taught me a lot of things, perhaps the most important of all is not just whatmost important of all is tople we share our lives with.ortant of all is that we learn not just in school alone but in our we learn in school alone but in our life’s experiences and through the people we share our lives with.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin